Lind was a fast growing town when a handful of sporting enthusiasts formed the first trap shooting organization. Although there are no records, it is believed that the club existed during the late 1920's and early 1930s. The make shift club house, Lind's former Pest House, was located south of the town and wet of the Bill Loomis residence. (Now the Burton residence). The shooter used 1 1/4 oz. shot, a 3 dram load and shells which were purchased at the Army Surplus Store in Spokane, Washington. In 1943, the shells changed to 1 1/8 oz.




The few trap shooters never did formally organized. They had no written by-laws or safety rules, but like many sporting events, experience would be the best teacher. Note that although it's a sport with loaded shot guns, shooters are drilled on safety. Never has there been a shooting death in a gun club accident throughout the United States.




A case of shells could be purchased for $16.00 and a round of trap cost $1.50. Regardless, jobs at that time were scarce, and consequently, there was no money available for fun events and soon, trapshooting events would cease to exist. Shooters at that time included Gus Wahl, a local farmer, Jake Schutz, the owner of the Wellington Tavern, C.B Lievsay, the current depot agent, Harry Snead, a prominent Lind banker, and A.J. Urquhart, owner of the Union Elevator and Warehouse Company. During this time, shooters turned their interest into developing a golf course located where the water well, airport, and the gun club presently exist. It, too, had major disadvantages. With no water for grass, the course was laid out in a rocky field of sage brush. The sand traps were great for the avid golfers, who could also contend with cheat grass, bugs, and thousands of squirrel holes. About the same time, the Lind Rifle Club was formed. The organizational meeting took place in the Wellington Tavern under the guidance of owner, Jake Schutz and his employee, Ed Beck. Then came the Depression Wheat fell to an alarming $.39 a bushel and many were out of work. No jobs, no money, no Rifle & Pistol Club.







In 1946, a group of avid trap shooters organized the first Lind Gun Club. Those (still) familiar names included, Bill Jungblom, E.V. Lane, Nick Sievers Sr., Nick Sievers, Jr., Al Bauman, Don Bauman, A.B. Davis, Bill Abney, Russell Cline, A.J. Urquhart.In 1992, a trap house was built at the airport. Since then, local kids have added barrels to the original trap house and it was used as a fort.